What is the difference between 'Account Password' and 'Certificate Password?'
Account Password - The account password is created by you when the application is filled out online.
This password is needed for downloading your certificate, and is needed to access your account via the 'Certificate Management Center' (CMC). Within the CMC you can:
The rules for creating your 'Account Password' are:
- Revoke your certificate
- Replace your certificate
- Renew your certificate
- Update your account information
- Update Account Password & security questions
- Account password must be between 8-30 characters in length
- It can consist of Letters, Numbers, and special characters
- Cannot contain ( ) \ / " *.
- The 'Account Password' is case sensitive (UPPER & lower case)
Certificate Password - This password is created to protect the use of the certificate. When the certificate is downloaded to your machine you will be prompted to create the private key password.
The 'Certificate Password' is used each time the certificate is accessed:
When creating this password we recommend you use:
- Signing emails
- Signing documents (Adobe, word, excel, etc..)
- Accessing a secure website
- Between 8-30 characters
- At least 1 lower case letter
- At least 1 upper case letter
- At least 1 special characters
- Make it a password that is not easily guessed but something that you will not forget
|Article number: G2501
Last Modified: March 10, 2016
FEDERAL AGENCY PROGRAMS
STATE AGENCY PROGRAMS